Bill 39: Ensuring Affordable Energy Act on April 18th
I am writing to you today to inform you that I will be debating Bill 39, the Ensuring Affordable Energy Act on April 18th.
This bill contains six key pillars:
- Wind turbines will only be placed in willing host communities, and municipalities will be given full veto over wind turbine projects in their communities;
- Wind power must be affordable—meaning the cost per kilowatt hour must line up with other sources of generation;
- The costly feed-in tariff (FIT) program will be eliminated;
- Municipalities will have the ability to decide whether or not they want to promote wind energy;
- The Niagara Escarpment and the Oak Ridges Moraine will be protected from wind turbines; and
- Municipalities will receive their planning powers for renewable energy back
I know that issues with wind turbines are important to you. This is why I am inviting you to join myself, and the PC’s for second reading debate on this important piece of legislation. It is estimated that debate would begin on this bill at approximately 3:30-3:45.
If you would like to attend second reading debate, please RSVP directly to Ashley Hammill in my office at firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP’s are necessary as security needs to have the names forwarded to them prior to your arrival.
The Ontario PC Party and I appreciate your ongoing support, and we will work hard to ensure this bill is passed.
Lisa Thompson, MPP